Welcoming students of all backgrounds, American Islamic College is grounded in Islamic values and steeped in Islam’s rich and diverse intellectual traditions. Through rigorous scholarship, civic engagement and interfaith/intercultural activities, AIC prepares students to become critical thinkers, visionary leaders, and responsible global citizens.
Having recently achieved regional candidacy for accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), American Islamic College is seeking a dynamic, thoroughly experienced, and competent academic leader to serve as its new VP for Academic Affairs. A Ph.D. is expected, preferably in a field that supports the challenges of a young and growing university. Applicants should have a strong record of teaching and research in a North American university setting and bring hands-on experience in higher education administration. Accreditation, curriculum development, learning outcomes and assessment, faculty governance, promotion and tenure, strategic planning, budgeting, and distance (incl. hybrid) education are all key aspects of the evolving VPAA portfolio at AIC, and so candidates should speak to these areas in their letter of application. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as experience in working with external regulatory agencies.
Specific duties and responsibilities are provided below. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Serve as AIC’s primary liaison with the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE), and the US Dept. of Education.
- Work closely with the AIC President in strategic planning and implementing the College’s academic mission.
- Work closely with the President and the Faculty Council in overseeing the College’s curricular diversification and programmatic expansion.
- Provide leadership in structuring programs and processes in alignment with the outlined standards of HLC, IBHE, and the US Dept. of Education.
- Prepare semi-annual reports on academic affairs for submission to the President and Board of Trustees (BOT).
- Grow and guide faculty governance bodies and oversee faculty development, recruitment, and evaluation, as well as academic staff recruitment, management, and professional development.
- Supervise matters relating to curriculum and instruction, scheduling, summer programs, etc.
- Oversee the academic affairs budget.
- Oversee all matters of academic discipline at the College.
- Conduct academic reviews and provide the President with advisory recommendations on all academic appointments, promotions, and tenure-related matters.
- Establish yearly goals and objectives and lead the program directors, faculty, and staff in achieving each set of goals and objectives.
- Ensure that faculty and staff receive proper instructions and guidelines for taking necessary steps related to regulatory requirements.
- Supervise and work with AIC’s Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness in collecting data and providing analysis to inform College decision-making and to assist with federal, regional, and state-level regulatory reports.
Initial hire will be for a renewable three-year term, starting the early spring or summer, 2021.
Applicants should apply by sending a letter of application, CV, and list of references to HR@aicusa.edu. Please write VPAA SEARCH in the subject heading of your email.
AIC’S Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Accessibility
American Islamic College is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
American Islamic College serves a diverse student body and is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from African Americans, racialized persons/persons of color, women, First Nations/Aboriginal Peoples of North America, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of our community and intellectual culture.
The College strives to be an equitable and inclusive community for all and proactively seeks to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please let us know.
REVIEW of applications will begin DECEMBER 1, 2020, and continue until the position is filled.